Thursday, March 24, 2011

Must Love... Paris

Paris was one of my favourite destinations on what was truly the trip of a lifetime. It is called the city of love for a reason, and I couldn’t help but fall head over heels for it. Every building was beautiful, enchanting and full of life and detail. I loved walking along the cobbled streets, especially those of the Champs Elysees, and looking up at all the things around me, taking in how much dedication and soul has been put into this romantic city.

The Eiffel Tower is just as amazing as you imagine it to be. Some of the locals proclaim that it is an ugly, steel construction, but it is so much more than that. And to climb it at night, surrounded by the mesmerising lights, telling myself that ‘Yes, you are in fact in Paris! This is not a dream.’ was a very surreal moment.

The Arc de Triumph was another favourite of mine, as were Monet’s Waterlillies housed in the Musee de l’Orangerie. I had heard from a few people that they were surprised and a little disappointed in how small the painting of Mona Lisa was. But who needs big when you have that smile. I think the painting looks so much more alive in person, you are drawn in by her expression – is it a coy smile? A sad smile? A shy smile? A flirtatious smile? What was going on in her life when this moment was captured? Who was she? Seeing her was definitely a highlight of the trip. And the Louvre itself is just beyond words. After taking over an hour to very quickly walk through half of a single wing, I thought I would never see anything so large and extravagant again. Until we visited the Palace of Versailles. Can you say over-the-top?

Notre Dame brought me back to my childhood days of watching The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and as we walked through the gothic architecture, spying the gargoyles on top of the church and admiring the huge, brightly coloured stained glass windows, I was secretly keeping an eye out for my old friend Quasimodo. I’m not a religious person in any way, but there was definitely something spiritual about this place, where thousands upon thousands of people pass through, leaving behind their hope, dreams and prayers.

And of course, we couldn’t visit Paris without making a stop at the Moulin Rouge. It had it all. Beautiful food, rich wine, laugh-until-you-cry entertainment, spine-tingling vocals, electrifying dance moves and the costumes, Oh! the costumes. It was everything we could have wanted and more.

I cannot wait to go back and visit the city that had me smiling from ear to ear, and thanking my lucky stars that I was in Paris!











Au revoir,
Popcorn x

3 comments:

  1. You make me miss Europe. I want to go back so so badly x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you've given me inspiration to save and travel!! And you've hit all the tourist spots so I know where to go!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww thanks. Definitely do it, you'll have the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete