Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Must Love... GOMA

Those of you who read this blog will know I am quite partial to an Art Gallery. You will also know that I visited the Queensland Art Gallery not too long ago from this post. What you don't know, is that I also visited the Gallery of Modern Art.

Located directly behind the QAG, GOMA is like the funky little sister.The major exhibit at the moment is Matisse: Drawing Life and it is the most comprehensive collection of Henri Matisse's prints and drawings ever created. It does cost $25.00 for an adult entry, and as the post Christmas sales rendering me completely broke I had to sacrifice it on this visit.

My favourite exhibit was  'Look Now, See Forever' by Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama. This definitely isn't stand-back-and-admire kind of art, it's immerse, bright, bold and all about colour, form, space and perception. Upon first glance the rooms leave you in awe, the mesmerising affect continues as you take in the little details of the exhibit and the feeling stays with you as you realise you're day has just been brightened.








Another collection I found interesting was About My Mother by William Yang, a part of The Hand, The Eye & The Heart exhibit. It is a series of photographs depicting his mother's life, each accompanied by a hand written insight into his family secrets. This one below stuck a cord with me, it reads "Perhaps the greatest source of comfort in my life, the one thing I could utterly count on, was the fact I knew my mother loved me unconditionally".


Threads: Contemporary Textiles & The Social Fabric was a beautiful treat on the eye. The photo below shows the 22 metre long Tongan black bark-cloth piece which was very impressive.


These last few photos are from Ten Years of Contemporary Art: The James C Sourris AM Collection.



If these lovely artworks weren't enough, the gift shop is full of Dinosaur Designs!

Popcorn x

All photos taken with iPhone 4.



No comments:

Post a Comment